Wednesday 17 August 2011

'Oh hello new seller'


Hyun-Young Shin from Biscuit Village

Tell us about yourself?
My name is Hyun-Young Shin and I am the co-owner and head designer at the Biscuit Village. My main passion is for creating designs and expressing my artistic nature through various mediums. I am a qualified Textile Weaver and a former British Young Designer of the Year finalist. I've been designing biscuits with royal icing for many years now and I'm always learning and enjoying new styles and techniques. I can say I am in my dream job and I really love what I get to do all day although it is hard work I feel very rewarded and happy when I finish icing a biscuit.

Your chosen picture inspires you, tell us why?
I recently spent the day with Liz Locke from BBC's the Apprentice. We joined her for a video blog related to the recent series where the contestants were asked to create their own biscuit. We had a lovely day teaching Liz to pipe royal icing to our biscuits and the final video made me so proud to think. I made those :-) It's inspiring because its similar to when "Home and Garden" magazine awarded us with the title as one of Britain's "three of the best" biscuit companies. I feel Biscuit Village has come so far from those early days and our goal has always been to bake the best tasting biscuits and make them look as attractive as we can and it's inspiring to have our biscuits considered in such high esteem.

What possession do you most cherish?
My favourite possession would have to be my collection of buttons. From classic to new age I'm always keen to spot a good looking button. Fashion (including buttons) does mean a lot to me but it is closely followed by my trusty Silver Kenwood mixer who I have fondly named "Kenny". Our home mixer broke within days of opening Biscuit Village and so my boyfriend and I gathered our pennies together for our first major expense. Since then, we've been able to produce the perfect dough which has helped us enormously and is by far my favourite possession.

Tell us about the product you’ve chosen in the photograph, why is it your absolute favourite?
It is so tricky to pick a favourite product but I do adore our Biscuit Village Jurassic Dino Tin. The colours and line icing is my favourite to work on but it’s the end result I love the most. Colourful tasty biscuits with that dangerous prehistoric edge. Need I say more :-)

What should we expect to see from you in the coming years?
Royal icing is such a wonderful medium for me to create designs and I cannot see an end so I envisage creating more unique baked treats in the years to come. I will be continuing to train our staff to keep to the high standards we set here at the Biscuit Village and I am looking forward to trying some new styles such as triple layered biscuits!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment