Thursday 4 August 2011

Featured Seller :: Imogen's Imagination

Sophie Cook from Imogen's Imagination

Tell us about yourself?
My name is Sophie Cooke and I'm a self-confessed hat addict! I love wearing them, I love making them...and I adore seeing my designs on other people when I'm out and about!

I started making mini top-hats to wear to burlesque nights in Sheffield back in 2005, as I could never find what I wanted to wear...and the rest is history!

My range has expanded enormously since then, and now incorporates bridal wear, fascinators plus a large range of hair accessories.

I've been attending Leeds College of Art and Design for the last 2 years training in millinery, in fact I've just signed up for next year and so I'll be back in September for another year. The training I have received has been first rate and the mentoring and equipment I have access to there have been invaluable, but it’s a hefty trek on the train every week after working the 'proper' job all day!

Imogen's Imagination is a home-run business; I do however, still work full time for South Yorkshire Police which is sometimes a bit of juggling act! Luckily, I am super organised; I have to be!


Your chosen picture inspires you, tell us why?
The picture I have chosen as my inspiration is of these very dapper ladies during the 1940's....please note, a lot of hat action! Whilst my current designs are not necessarily 40's inspired (never say never!), it’s the idea that you make the best of what you have, and look damn good doing it!

Despite the Make do and Mend movement; limited beauty products, rationing of everything from fabric, food and water, lack of proper housing, the threat of the whole world collapsing in on you and losing everything you hold dear... these women were fighters, lookers and grafters.

How can you not be inspired by this grit, determination and sheer bloodymindedness to rise to the challenge? This is kind of how I lead my life, both personally and professionally... although I confess, it’s fair to say I have an easier life than those of my grandparents generation, for which I'm very grateful!


What possession do you most cherish?
My most cherished possession is a bit of a tough one. In terms of material goods, I think my computer is my most precious... its key to my business! But on a personal level, my most treasured items are a solid silver bracelet that my inspirational silversmith mother made for my 30th birthday, and an antique solid silver watch chain that I inherited when my grandpa passed away nearly 20 years ago.

I wear the watch chain as a necklace and have done since I was given it. Despite being the proud owner of much costume jewellery and handcrafted jewellery from a range of sources over the years, these are my two staple pieces because of their sentimental and emotional value.


Tell us about the product you’ve chosen in the photograph, why is it your absolute favourite?
This was such a hard decision! I only make things that I like...and I have to confess that sometimes, I'm very disappointed to see some of my designs sell, especially the limited collection one-off pieces, as I hope to snaffle them for myself!!!

However, this has to be the ultimate tick-all the boxes piece for me. I love animal prints, be it leopard, tiger, cheetah, zebra...I must be the only person who wants Pat Butcher's hall wallpaper (I did find it, but my mum refused to help me hang it in my house!). But I also love texture, it’s so, so important to materials. The colour can right, but if it doesn’t feel right, then that's it, it just won't do. I also love classic, wearable shapes and whilst I'd love to create avant garde pieces a la Lady Gaga, that’s just not the where my creativity or my tastes lie.

So this piece has everything, a classic animal print, with the most strokable long pile and a simple but elegant shape - a timeless design which will last and last. This hat was hand blocked, then stiffened, then hand blocked again before being finished by hand, with the tiniest amount of machine sewing on the lining, it truly was a labour of love. And yes, I do have one of my own! ;o)



What should we expect to see from you in the coming years?
More of the same I hope! Continuing excellent and personable customer service, and a dedication to wearable and affordable designs. A reduction in my full-time hours would be amazing so that I could produce more (I often run at capacity between February and September meaning my only social life is events that I'm attending with Imogen's Imagination). I also intend to start doing more events in London as I have a huge online client base there and it would be great to finally meet some of them! This would also allow me to raise my personal profile there and hopefully extend the number of shops and boutiques that I stock. I suppose the warning is....get ready! If you thought the promotion machine was at full tilt already, you haven’t seen anything yet! ;o)

1 comment:

  1. wow! thank you frooly, this looks great :o)

    and you managed to get rid of all my dreadful typos! lol

    thank you,

    sophie
    x

    ReplyDelete